Monday, July 21, 2008

Diapers on...Diapers off...AAAHHHH!!!

Well, today has been rough for me. Can't remember if I told you Savannah suddenly wanted to use the toilet for going potty and poop. About a week ago she out of the blue said "Sanna need go potty and poop-poop on toilet". So I set her on the toilet and then the next time on a potty chair and she has pooped in it several times and potty a few times. Then she got scared after she pooped on the floor and so she wasn't as interested in it for a few days. I thought maybe we weren't really going to do this after that, but yesterday she seemed to have a very strong renewal of interest in using the potty chair. Emily is not as purposeful about using the potty chair--she seems interested only when Savannah is using the potty chair (we have two or that would be another fight to deal with).

Today, they both have been taking off their pants and diapers and then go running around the house. Once I get one in a diaper and pants back on, then the other has taken hers off again. I was getting really frustrated with that. Then they kept trying to jump on the couch--pantless and diaperless. AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! I think Savannah would actually tell me if she was going to potty, but Emily is not yet ready for that--she just lets it go whenever. So, my stress level was growing by the minute after all that. I called Seth and cried, then I called my mom and cried. No one has any real good answers for this problem, other than gate them in the kitchen. Problem is we only have one gate, and two doorways to the kitchen. Finally I got mad after yet another self-depantsing episode with the girls. I just put then in their cribs naked from the waist down and then left the room. I proceeded to cook their lunch, wondering how big of a mess I was going to have to clean up. 20 minutes later I go to their room and find Emily has pooped and peed in her bed and she seemed a little frightened by it--she was standing on the opposite end of the crib sucking her thumb. At least I can throw the sheets and matress pad in the washer--much easier than trying to keep our carpet clean. I did put new diapers and onesies on both of them. Hopefully they won't try to take off their diapers while wearing the onesies...we'll see.

I'm exhausted after our long morning. Going to take a nap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes!! I can see how this would be a struggle for any mom...I have no words of wisdom in this area.. Tatum was not easy to potty train. It actually took Jason firmly saying to her, "Tatum, I've had enough! I am not doing this anymore. Do you understand daddy? You ARE going to poop and pee in the potty." She shook her little head and ever since that day..she was potty trained.
Maybe Seth can have a pow-pow with them...don't know if that would work.
Rene'

Jennifer said...

makenna likes to take her diaper off unannounced too... i just put her in a onesie when she is going to be where i'm not watching her (i.e. when she's napping/sleeping)this seems to deter her a little. unfortunately every one of my kids have been de-pantsers so i've had my fair share of cleaning up poopy messes... not fun! at least girls are much easier to potty train. you'd think i'd be all over potty training makenna and be done with the diaper thing but having 2 kids already that still need to constantly be reminded to go potty, i'm in no hurry to add one more to that list! i would say to you, don't be in a hurry... keep the diapers on as long as you can and make it a priviledge to them to be able to use the potty like big girls. try it out with the one who is interested but don't get too frustrated if it doesn't work out... they will learn eventually!
:)jenn

sue84 said...

Get the Little Keeper Sleeper. NO safety pins, duct tape or putting sleepers on backwards. Don't put your child in a sleeper that doesn't fit correctly, especially around their neck. This company created the perfect sleeper that all parents of toddlers should have. See for yourself at www.littlekeepersleeper.com