Monday, September 29, 2008

Good Weekend

We were able to go visit my parents this weekend. God blessed us all with good health so we were able to be around my mom without worrying about getting her sick. The girls had so much fun. They really enjoyed sitting in their "Pop's" lap and reading lots, and lots of books...and watching college football on TV all day Saturday. My aunt and cousin came to visit that weekend as well, so it was nice to see her. The girls played with my cousin, who is an 8th grader now, but he's so good with kids. They were really interested in his ipod. Grammie and Pop have my old piano in their living room and the girls love to "play" songs and sing. It is so cute when they do that--usually it's ABC song or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but this weekend they sang Oh Susanna. I have it on video, so I hope their singing is audible once we play it back.

My mom is scheduled for another chemo treatment tomorrow. Her hair started falling out last week, and over the weekend, I shaved the remaining hair off so she wouldn't have to go have it done in public at a salon. She was really emotional about it, I knew she would be. I think she was also worrying that it would be really hard for me to do it (emotionally). I was fine until she started crying after the first few snips of hair. I had to just focus on getting the hair off so I wouldn't start crying. My aunt was there with us and so that was really good. I took a picture of my mom totally bald, and one with her wearing one of her wigs. She does look quite a bit different without any hair. It does change the way your face appears too. One day we will look back on this and can hopefully laugh. I know my mom will go through a rough adjustment to having no hair. She already said she felt ugly. I told her she was still pretty and that everyone would feel the same. My Dad is being so good about the whole thing. He is what will keep her feeling good until her hair comes back in.

No comments: