Friday, June 26, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend...blog a little late

Okay, so I just realized I totally forgot to blog about our Memorial Day weekend mini-vacation. Not that I think it was just so awesome that I need to tell everyone about it, but this blog is also my way of writing down firsts and major events that my girls encounter. So here we go:

We had made plans to go to Beaver Lake (near Rogers, AR) and stay in a cabin. We planned to do some fishing and swim in the lake if it was warm enough. We also were going to meet up with my aunt and uncle and cousins. Well, we traveled to Joplin to meet up with my parents. They had bothed worked all day and so they still had several things to do to get ready to go. After a lot of waiting, and help packing we finally were able to head to the lake. It's about a 2 hour drive from Joplin. We arrived at 12:30am. I'm glad Seth was driving because we ended up driving down the darkest, narrowest, twisty road I've every been on. The girls slept maybe an hour of the trip. It took us awhile to get the van unloaded and sleeping arrangements set up. We were staying in a 2 bedroom cabin, so we had to bring air mattresses for the girls to sleep on. We had to rearrange the furniture in Seth and I's bedroom so we could fit the both mattresses in without causing a major fall hazard. Poor little girls didn't get to bed unitl 1:30am! I think that's the latest they have ever gone to bed since they were tiny babies.

The next day we explored the cabin grounds and went down to the boatdock. The girls were scared at first of the boatdock, so we didn't stay long. We did eventually get the boat in the water and took a very slow and short boat ride. Emily was TERRIFIED of being the boat and was crying and almost screaming to get out. She was fine once Grammie held her hand. When we stopped the boat my dad, Seth, and I got out the fishing poles to do a little fishing, hopefully to catch some white bass. My dad had bought little tiny fishing poles for the girls to use. Earlier Seth had tried to teach the girls how to use the fishing poles back at the cabin. Savannah concentrated hard and really tried to practice casting. Emily didn't want to be shown how to cast and grabbed the pole away and then got mad because she couldn't do it. Wisely, Seth had juts put on the practice butterfly instead of a real hook.

While in the boat, Savannah got brave enough to go sit up front with her fishing pole. She would push the button to drop her line and butterfly into the water, and then just sit and wait, slowly realing her line in. She did this for almost an hour! Pretty good attention span for a 2 year old. She would see Seth or my Dad catch a fish and say "maybe a big wave will come and help me catch a fish". So cute!

We were out for about 1.5 hours and then it started to rain on us, so we went back to the dock and then back to the cabin. It rained for the rest of the day. The next two days were similar in weather, so we didn't spend much time on the lake, thankfully we had nice cabin. My great-aunt was visiting from Cincinnati, OH and she came over to see the girls. She has never seen them except for in pictures until that weekend. A few other relatives came over and we all had lunch together. It was a good visit.

By the time it was time for us to check out on Memorial Day, we were all ready to get back home. The girls kept asking if they could go home or go to Grammie's house. I think 2 full days in a cabin when it rained most of the weekend was enough for everyone. On our way out, we did get to see something unusual. Another guest in the cabin resort we stayed at, was traveling to North Carolina. She was transporting baby kangaroos to a rescue facility. She was getting ready to leave and asked us if the girls would like to see the kangaroos. She had them in the backseat of the car in small fabric pouches. They were cute, a little strange looking too. The girls were a little scared, so we didn't linger for long.

We stopped by my grandparents' house on our way back to Olathe. We had a short, but good visit. My grandpa seemed to be in better health than he has been in a long time. He still is bedridden in the living room of their house, but he seemed alert and spoke a little to us when we arrived. I'm glad my grandparents got to see the girls. I know they wish they could visit with us more often.

No comments: