Monday, June 8, 2009

Potty Training...Take 2

So today I decided to give potty training another try. So far, it's not going so well. Trying to potty train two 2 1/2 year olds is hard. If one pees on the floor, then the other thinks she needs to do that to--maybe for attention? Last time I did this I cleaned up six accidents on carpet in less than a hour and a half. Today I took the girls outside in the driveway (because it's shaded in the mornings). I took a potty chair out with us too and put in just inside the garage so it would be closer than trying to make it into the house and upstairs before and accident happened. The girls were happy to wear the training panties, but are not willingly using the potty chair. Savannah could be coerced, but Emily is very resistant. They use them whenever they want to inside the house, but outside, I guess there are too many things to do and they don't want to stop to use the bathroom. So, I have a nice huge bag full of wet underpants in the garage. I'm waiting until the end of the day to do a wash load. One pair of panties is actually wet due to falling in a bucket of water. Yeah, I had this great idea that if I made the girls wear only their Crocs that I would have an much easier mess to clean up. I just simply take their peed on shoes, dunk them in the bucket of water to rinse them off, then let them dry for a few minutes and then the girls can put them back on. No yucky sneakers to deal with. So, as Emily was riding her tricycle toward Savannah...Savannah stepped backward and plop! Splash! She landed right in the water bucket, bottom first, with her legs and arms haning out. The look on her face was a little funny as I watched her try to figure out and understand what had just happened.

Exactly how long does it take to potty train a child? I've been told a person can do it in a day or two if you just take them outside and leave them undressed from the waist down. After this morning, I'm not so confident this method is very effective with my girls. We'll see what this afternoon is like...stay tuned!

No comments: