Monday, January 19, 2009

Busy or Calm Times?

So, I just realized that I have not posted very much lately. Is it because I've just been really busy, or has the chaos with the girls seemed to have calmed down to the point that I'm not always needing to vent via blog? Not sure yet...

Anyway, the girls have been playing together almost all day, everyday since Christmas. Most of the time it's good, minimal fighting, and I'm finding that they don't really want me to be involved in their play time. That makes me a little sad, and worried because I feel like I'm not being a good mom if I'm not playing with them for the better part of the day. Literally from their first day of life, most of my time has been devoted to them--mostly due to actual need for feeding, changing diapers, comforting, protecting, mediating, and entertaining. Now, it seems I have flexibility in my time, although I don't really know what to do with that. Crazy, huh? I guess I have the PAT activities and advice circulating in my head and I feel like I should be engaging Emily and Savannah in the 30 minutes of structured time vs. 10 hrs of free play per day. When I try to do any structured activity, the girls get mad, tell me to go away, or say in a whiny voice "I don't want to...". Even if it's something they normally love to do. If I suggest it, then immediately they don't want to do it. I guess that's just 2 year old behavior.

So, fun moments to mention. I have a feeling Emily will grow up to be a performer in many musical shows. She seems to narrate her daily life through song. It's hilarious sometimes. Savannah will sing, but usually not to the extent of Emily's singing. Emily recently went through a "snorting" phase. She would talk, then end each sentence with a loud snort, then laugh...trailed by a happy sigh. She did that for 2 straight weeks. This week it just seems to happen randomly now. Savannah and Emily have both been very into playing with their baby dolls, their new cabbage patch dolls specifically. Savannah's doll has brown hair with little curls around the face and then longer pigtails. She calls this doll her "curly baby". Emily's doll is basically the same, but with yellow hair instead and she did refer to her doll as "Baby Ann", but has followed after Savannah and started call her doll her "curly baby" as well. For the longest time any baby doll they played with were named "Baby Grace" (Savannah's) or "Baby Ann" (Emily's).

Savannah is still very snuggly after naps, but her snuggle time is slowly getting shorter and shorter. Emily has taken a more recent interest in snuggling. Both girls have taken a huge interest in play-doh and will play with it for almost an hour together. They like to pretend to make cakes and cookies and then pretend to feed their stuffed animals. Once time during a snack, Emily actually tried to feed her stuffed dog hummus and crackers. That was fun to try to clean off. I tried to explain about pretending and not really using real food to feed their dolls and animals. We'll see how many toys end up with food on them.

No comments: