Monday, February 2, 2009

Double Trouble

Okay, so since Thursday, Emily has been sick with fever, a bad cough, sore throat, and runny nose. She is NOT a pleasant sick child. In fact, it makes her one of the grouchiest, hard to be around people I know. And now, Savannah is sick with the same thing. So, I have two grouchy toddlers, who for some reason think being sick is a great excuse to just be difficult. Ultra resistant to EVERYTHING!!! It's driving me crazy, they have been fighting me on everything from teethbrushing to bathing. Sometimes I can't even get them to drink anything. I'm chilled out on the whole not wanting to eat thing, but they have to have fluids if they have fevers of 103. It's so frustrating. Today is hard because it's just me at home with the both of them. I am so tired and it's making me grouchy too. Since Thursday, Emily has been waking up 4 times during the night. Seth and I usually try to take turns, but Emily wants no one but me, so I end up hearing the fuss and getting woken up anyway. Last night Savannah woke up at 1:00am with a high fever and was coughing and her breathing just sounded labored. I was concerened she might have been having an asthma attack (I have asthma, and as a child I was sick a lot because of it...so I'm always on the lookout for signs of asthma developing in my girls). I took her to the bathroom, turned the hot water on in the shower and we just sat in the bathroom in the steam for about 20 minutes. It helped her breathing a little bit, but her heartrate seemed faster than normal. So, I was afraid we were going to have to go the ER. I woke Seth up and he was all out of it (such a heavy sleeper) and so I really have no idea if he knew what I was telling him about Savannah. I stayed up another half hour just holding her and listening to her breath. She was getting tired and so I gave her more Tylenol and put her in her bed. I couldn't go back to sleep for a long time because I was worried, and listening for more breathing difficulties. She ended up sleeping well through the night and didn't wake up until 8:30am (she usually is up by 7:00am).

Today, the girls are not getting along. Neither of them want to eat, no big deal, but I think it's contributing to their grouchiness. Nap time--HORRIBLE! Emily has been calling my name every 20-30 minutes. I go in to her room, tell her it's still nap time, and to lay down and go to sleep so she can get better. After several rounds of that I think she's finally asleep. So, I go to my bed and lay down, and just as I'm drifting off to sleep I hear "Mommy, up! I have potty in my bed!" Turns out it's Savannah who's resisting nap time now. So, I get her cleaned up, she asks if she can sleep on the couch now, I tell her no. I change her sheets and put her back in bed. All the while telling her no taking off her diaper in her bed. I even began a little mini-lecture about not going potty in her bed just so she can go sleep on the couch. I told her I would just change her sheets and then she'd have to go right back into her bed. I have NEVER let her sleep on the couch, so I don't know why in the last few weeks she thinks if she pees in her bed that she'll get to go sleep in the living room. So, here I am frustrated, exhausted, and a bit mad, and now both girls are crying in their rooms. So much for nap time.

No comments: