Thursday, November 1, 2007

With Every Good Day, A Bad Day Must Follow

That's how I feel right now. I almost knew today might be rough since yesterday was so great. Sometimes I wonder if the babies know how much it frustrates me for them to be so great one day and then difficult the next. What really makes me almost mad is that they think it's funny. Today, every diaper change has come with a wrestling match, or Emily's game is try to kick mommy as hard as she can, as many times as she can during the diaper change. If they aren't squirming and kicking then they are putting their hands in their dirty diaper, touching their private areas, and then putting their fingers in their mouths before I can clean them off. Yuck!! And the more I try to prevent them from doing that, the more they try to do it. Clothing changes today have gone the same way--the girls would rather be naked, and diaperless. Each time I try to put pants on Savannah she pulls one leg out and as I put that leg back in her pants, she pulls the other one out...and so on and so on.

Meals today have been a struggle as well. Lots of throwing of food on the floor, dropping their cups, trying to trade each other's cup, pulling off their bibs, rubbing food in their hair, etc., etc. Play times have been frustrating as well. Today I think the girls want their own space, and their own mommy. If one is in my lap, it makes the other one mad and she'll come up and start hitting the the one in my lap and pulling on her legs in an attempt to get her out of the way. When I try to hold both of them in my lap, they both get mad and the struggle and wrestling and hitting begins. Same thing when they are on the floor--no matter who had what toy first, the other one seems to feel the need to take it away. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! The hard part of having 14 month old twins is that they don't always understand hurting and dangerous and so I often feel all of my best efforts to get that point across are all for not.

It's days like this that make me crazy. The only thing that slightly keeps me sane is that I know this phase will eventually pass. My only question is when? Really, today I feel like in order for my house to be safe for the twins we would have to get rid of anything electric and plug up all of the existing outlets--which means living in the dark. We would not have a trash can inside, a dog dish, a diaper pail (which is now on top of their dresser), no bathroom, no cabinets, no dressers with drawers as the girls continue to get smashed fingers or bang the drawers into mommy's shins while she changes her sister's diaper, no toys to throw, no paper to eat, basically we need a padded room and life would be fine. And get this--my girls have not yet learned the art of climbing...and I hope they don't anytime soon. Just keeping things out of reach on the tables and countertops is hard enough.

I think I need to get out of the house today, maybe we can go for a drive--or to Wal-Mart (yikes!! that's hard with twins). Wal-Mart--yeah, I tried going there once with the twins by myself and that was a total disaster. Wal-Mart does not have twin friendly carts...you have your single seat normal cart, and then you have your double 2-6 year old seat type cart...which doesn't work for my 14 month old twins because harnesses won't fit correctly to keep them from falling out of the seats. So that means I get to take the double stroller and try to push a cart as well, or wait until Seth gets home and I'll go by myself or send him to get the things we need. So frustrating, I would just like to go when I want without all the extra work. Someday that will happen...again the question is when?

No comments: